Winter weather is on the way and with it will come the need to drive in the snow and ice. Here at Caton Auto Clinic we have seen numerous incidents over the years and wanted to give you the following tips to help you be safe this winter:
- Allow plenty of time before traveling. Start your car early to allow for frost, ice, or snow to melt. Clean off any excess before driving- you are responsible for anything that flies off of your car!
- Do not use your wiper blades to clean off your windshield! The extra weight from the snow will bend the wiper arms making it nearly impossible for the wiper blades to make contact with the windshield.
- Make sure that the windshield washer fluid in your car is rated for the cold temperatures- if it is too watered down it may freeze and break the reservoir or the lines to the jets.
- Four wheel drive only helps you go- it does not help you stop! Leave plenty of room in front of you and do not take turns with too much force.
- Keep an emergency blanket, flares, and some kitty litter in the car. The blanket will be necessary in case you break down, if you slide into a ditch and the tailpipe is covered you can’t run the vehicle or you could be killed by CO2 poisoning. The flares can help protect you if you are broken down in bad weather (set them up in the roadway), and the kitty litter can help you get traction in the event of being stuck.
- If you do slide and make contact with anything call us to have your suspension checked. A simple suspension check can make sure you are not in any danger of operating with a bad subframe, a bent shock or strut, damaged ball joints, bent hub assemblies and wheel bearings, and much more.
- Batteries have difficulty in the winter time due to the cold weather. If you notice longer cranking in your vehicle when you try to start it then your battery may be getting low. If that is the case, please swing by and we will be happy to test your battery for you!
- Tire Tread Depth- make sure your tires have plenty of tread to help you grip in the snow! If your tire tread is looking low, stop by and see us and we will happily measure the tire tread depth for you! In December we have a tire sale where you can save as much as 25% off of a set of 4 tires!
Most importantly, since we are in December we wish you and your family a very Merry Christmas and the happiest of holidays!